Too often serving in the church nursery can seem like a thankless job that involves mindless babysitting. But it is so much more! In fact, the nursery isn’t just for babies and small children – it serves all of us! Jesus made children an absolute priority in his ministry and said that we had much to learn from them. So, consider these 7 reasons (courtesy of Tony Kummer) on why serving in the church nursery is important for the life of every church and every age person in it:
- God is there. This may come as a shock, but the Bible has specific promises about God’s presence when children are welcomed and loved in Jesus’ name.
- It helps others. Your service in the church nursery allows church goers to focus on worship, rather than worrying about their children. In a way, your ministry makes it possible for the pastor to fulfill his ministry.
- Baby’s first impressions. The first (and sometimes lasting) feelings a child will have toward church is formed in the nursery department. A positive experience in the church nursery is essential.
- The most special assignment. When you serve in the nursery, you are being entrusted with the most important (and vulnerable) members of the church family. There is no greater treasure on this side of heaven than the little ones God has given us. You must be someone special to have a job that is so important.
- Your own growth. Your service is essential for your own spiritual growth. You may have never looked at it this way, but a growing Christian is always a serving Christian. Jesus was known for putting others first; when you serve in the church nursery you are walking in his example.
- Visitor’s first impressions. The church nursery is the first contact young families will have with your church. Your friendly greeting and exceptional care for their children can make a great first impression for your church. If they don’t feel like their children are safe, they will not return – and rightly so.
- Front-line prayers. Your service in the church nursery is a powerful opportunity for prayer. If every nursery worker would spend several minutes praying over the children in their care, imagine how God might begin to change this coming generation. There is no better way to create an environment of spiritual nurture than to pray while you serve in the nursery.
~ Chris Hjort